Friday, June 21, 2013

Mac: How to prevent your Mac from Sleeping !!!

While I am downloading, updating programs or even my Mac, after a while I found my Mac goes to sleep automatically even if it plugs to the power adapter.

The main problem here is that, the wireless network get interrupted and no more download in progress, unless I return it back from sleep mode.

There are 2 solutions for this issue:
  1. Changing the computer sleeping option from energy saving option under system preferences, as the following:
    From Mac general menu click on Mac icon → System preferences → Energy Saver → change your Computer sleep slider to “Never”, on battery and power adapter. (It doesn’t work for me). I will check and try other options I may miss.

  2. Use Caffeine program, it could be downloaded from Mac App store or from here, it's free application and very popular one.

I prefer the second option, mainly because there are times when I want my Mac book to sleep and don't want to keep changing the settings. Just one click of the coffee cup does it.
Caffeine

Caffeine is a tiny program that puts an icon in the right side of your menu bar. Click it to prevent your Mac from automatically going to sleep, dimming the screen or starting screen savers. Click it again to go back. Hold down the Command key while clicking to show the menu.

The menu now has a sub-menu for deactivating Caffeine automatically after a number of minutes.

Works just great. Computers need no sleep, people do.:)


No comments :

Post a Comment